I found a brochure about the Science Center in Des Moines and thought the kids would like it. Yesterday afternoon, we made our way into Downtown Des Moines, and thanks to the excellent signage throughout the city, found the Science Center without one wrong turn.
The kids really enjoyed it, and Jeff and I did too. They had exhibits showing how plumbing and gravity worked, lots of computer stations, a station to make paper rockets and shoot them with bursts of air, a station where you built dams to create the most energy, and one where you had to wrap an egg in different kinds of foam to ensure it wouldn't break when it was dropped from a high platform. The kids even got to pretend they were weatherman and give the weather report using a green screen.
After we finished soaking in all the science, we went in search of dinner. We found the Old Town Spahetti Works around the corner. It's in an old brick building, and the salad bar was housed in an old car (like a Model T). It was a great meal, and Jeff and the kids loved their cherry lemonades.
In a flashback to when Henry was 2 and 3, I was talking to him in the RV on the ride back, and could see he was tired. I looked toward the front for a bit, and when I turned back to talk to him again, he was sound asleep, face planted against the window, with his mouth hanging open. He didn't wake up until the next morning, even after we moved him to the sofabed. Hilarious.
It was a great day in Des Moines.
No comments:
Post a Comment