Sunday, July 26, 2009

Baseball, Waterpark and a Celebrity Sighting

It's been quite a busy day. Henry and Ruth have both said it was the best day of their life. Then they got torn between today and Christmas being the best day, but all in all, they gave today a 10.
We started the day by checking into the hotel in Kansas City, Missouri and going straight to the hotel's indoor waterpark. We spent about an hour there, and then got dried off and cleaned up, and took the hotel shuttle to the baseball stadium, which is just across the interstate.

Kauffman Stadium, or "The K," was just renovated and it's a really great stadium for families. We got great seats in the shade because it was going to be a hot one. They food is awesome - you can choose from barbecue, steak sandwiches, chili cheese fries, buffalo chicken and fries, hot dogs, funnel cakes, ice cream, sno-cones - seriously, they have it all. And in addition to the usual beers (Bud, etc.) they have Boulevard, which is a local beer, and Irish and Belgian beer carts. Breaking tradition, I skipped beer and had a Dr. Pepper - it really hit the spot.

We know Ruth can't sit for a baseball game very long - at a Nationals game earlier this summer, she made it exactly one inning before asking to go home. But this stadium kept her entertained. Out behind the outfield, they have a carousel, mini-golf course, batting cages, a mini-baseball field where you can try to hit a baseball and run the bases, and an area where kids can try to run the bases as fast as George Brett or other current Royals players.

The kids enjoyed the hot dog race, and the Royals mascot tossing t-shirts into the crowd. I enjoyed watching the lady on the other side of the aisle from me take pictures of Royals players and keep score of the game in her program. She was in her 60's or so. Two other ladies sat near her and were doing the same thing. I thought it was pretty cute.

After 8 innings, we decided to head back to the hotel. It was a miracle we lasted there that long.

After a bit of rest, it was back to the hotel's indoor waterpark. The kids had a ball, and I got in with them and enjoyed it too. As I was waiting to get on a waterslide, the huge bucket at the top of the water feature filled and tipped over, soaking Ruth and I. She laughed and laughed... Henry went on all the waterslides, even the really tall ones that were partially outside.

The best part of the waterpark was that the hotel/waterpark combo wasn't ridiculously expensive like Great Wolf Lodge - it cost about average for a regular hotel. Otherwise, we probably wouldn't have stayed here. Yet another reason to like Kansas City.

After somehow getting the kids out of the waterpark, we got dried off and cleaned up again and headed to the city for dinner. We selected Fiorello's Jack Stack Restaurant, which has barbecue and steaks. It was in the Country Club Plaza section of Kansas City. This party of the city was designed to look like Seville, KC's sister city. It's true, when you're there, you feel like you're in Europe. There are lots of fountains, and buildings that look like they're straight from Spain. We had a delicious dinner - Henry had smoked ham, Ruth had grilled cheese and Jeff and I both had Jack's Best combo: a smoked angus rib, pork ribs and burnt ends with fries. I gave most of my ribs to Henry and Ruth - I had no room for them.
We split a brownie sundae for dessert - delicious!

As we were having dessert, I thought I recognized a man sitting near a window in the restaurant. It took awhile, but I realized that it was Jim Lehrer, the newsman. Jeff seconded my assumption. So there you have it, a celebrity sighting in Kansas City.


After dinner, we walked around the plaza area and checked out some fountains. It had cooled off, and the air was nice.

We all agree that Kansas City is a great town, and we'd like to come back sometime. Maybe for a Chiefs game.

Tomorrow, on our way out of town, we're thinking about stopping in Independence to visit the Harry Truman Presidential Library. Then, it's off to St. Louis.

No comments:

Post a Comment